Thursday 12 May 2011

Thursday's Lesson

... will not now take place, as I have been invited back for another day of interviews. Many apologies, as obviously, I would far rather be teaching you. There are two things that I suggest you do with your time today:

1) Can I suggest that you use some of your time by reading more widely in some of the criticism that surrounds the gothic, so as to reinforce your knowledge of AO3?.

The word 'unheimlich' means something like 'uncanny' though not exactly (it's hard to translate). There is an interesting selection of articles related to this idea at the University of Virginia site (you may already know this) via a rather unpromising link from a glossary. Anyway, here it is, more directly, and I've added it to the list of useful sites as well. There are articles by Freud, Toderov and so on, which you should find interesting. We shall discuss the use of the unheimlich at our next lesson.

2) you could, of course, do a timed essay from the selection of section B questions that I have already posted, and e-mail it to me.

Many thanks, and apologies again,
MMc

No comments:

Post a Comment